Our son is growing up fast.
It seems like just yesterday he was so snug in my arms, today he’s like a lead weight. He may be only five, but he can already eat more than my wife and he’s gaining on me. Sometimes I wonder where it all goes.
Seeing him grow taller and stronger each year reminds me that one day I’ll be old, but for now I’m not willing to accept that fact.
Heck, I’m only 39.
My father started from zero at the age of 35 and was able to retire comfortably at the age of 58.
So, I’ve got a ways to go. And thanks to my wife’s love and care, I’ll hopefully be around till my 70s.
Still, you never know. Things happen that are beyond our control.
All we can do is go on living our lives, doing the best we can, making the most out of the time we do have.
I hope that I’ll be able to see my son grow up, get his black belt (Olympics maybe?), graduate, start his own company, get married and hold my grandchild in my arms.
I started this blog to share ideas with people, and in time I’ll share it with my son.
Each week when I sit down to write, I think about what would make a difference in people’s lives. Deep down I always ask myself, “What would I want to share with my son when he gets older?”
One of the things that I’ll share with him is my list of quotes.
Quotes are great because they sum up in a few words important lessons.
Here are 13 inspirational quotes (including two of my own) that I think every parent should share with (and explain) with their children:
- “Danger is very real. But fear is a choice.” ~Will Smith~
- “Don’t ever let someone tell you, you can’t do something. Not even me. You got a dream, you got to protect it.” ~Will Smith~ (The Pursuit of Happiness)
- “Whatever you want, you’d better be willing to fight for it.” ~Adrian Shepherd~
- “While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” ~Stephen R. Covey~
- “I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” ~Michael Jordan~
- “I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying.” ~Michael Jordan~
- “I demand more of myself than anyone else could ever expect.” – Julius Irving~
- “Seek opportunities to show you care. The smallest gestures often make the biggest difference.” ~John Wooden~
- “Set a goal to become a millionaire for what it will make of you to achieve it” ~Jim Rohn~
- “Success leaves clues.” ~Tony Robbins~
- “Decisions shape destiny.” ~Tony Robbins~
- “Find a good teacher, pay them well, then listen well.” ~Adrian Shepherd~
- “Alice came to a fork in the road. ‘Which road do I take?’ she asked.
‘Where do you want to go?’ responded the Cheshire Cat.
‘I don’t know,’ Alice answered.
‘Then,’ said the Cat, ‘it doesn’t matter.” (Alice in Wonderland)
Normally I add my own comments, but today I think I’d rather just let these sink in and let your mind go to work on them. I recommend going through each of them one at a time.
Just choose one, read it over a few times to yourself and then sit there for a few minutes and think about what it means to you and how it applies to your life.
Most people read a good quote, get inspired and that’s about it. I’m asking you to go that one step further.
Good quotes are like fine wine, they need to be savored. Sipped, not chugged.
And like a fine wine, enjoy it.
Remember, words are “food for thought.”
ps. Over the past two years now I have been going through program after program; studying, thinking, planning. This is the year where I’m going to take things to the next level. I’ll keep you posted, but expect some big moves later this year.